Security Guard and Maintenance Worker (full-time/benefits-eligible)
Catholic Charities Fairfield County is looking to fill a dual role of Security Guard and Maintenance Worker at its New Covenant Center feeding program, located in Stamford, CT. This is a full-time (Monday-Friday, 10am to 6pm), benefits-eligible position.
You must be dependable and have knowledge of basic security procedures, as well as demonstrate the ability to follow instructions and execute safety procedures in an organized manner. Also, you must be professional at all times, use good judgment, have good surveillance skills, and effectively manage uncertainty, judgment, objectivity, and emotions.
Security guard accountabilities are to maintain a safe and secure environment for staff, volunteers and guests while overseeing our day shelter and meal service. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, monitoring the exterior property and internal program services during our hours of meal service operation. Also, to promote safety by making sure NCC guests adhere to NCC policies and procedures.
Maintenance worker accountabilities are to, during on/off hours between meals, to assist with the day-to-day maintenance, cleanliness, and appearance of the New Covenant Center facility such as: offices, restrooms, exterior areas, kitchen, public areas, café, reception area, hallways, etc.
Security Guard Accountabilities:
- Monitor all meal services during hours of weekday operation:
Breakfast: 10:30-11:30am | Lunch 12:30-1:30pm | Dinner 4:30-5:30pm
- Promotes safety by reporting irregularities; informing violators of policy and procedures, and exhibits de-escalation techniques when necessary
- Demonstrates the capacity to treat people with respect and dignity
- Secures New Covenant Center property by patrolling the grounds
- All other duties as assigned
Maintenance Worker Accountabilities:
- Run dishwashing station
- Discard all trash
- Wipe down tables after meals
- Sweep and mop floors after meals
- Clean bread carts
- Ensure bathrooms are stocked with necessary supplies
- Assist with food deliveries and clean-up of loading dock
- Ensure guest shower room is cleaned, disinfected, swept, and mopped on a daily basis
Education and Experience required:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of three years’ proven hands-on experience as security guard
- Registered security officer or retired police officer preferred
- Bilingual a plus (English/Spanish)
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be alert and aware of the surroundings at all times
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt to situations without notice
- Consistently demonstrate integrity and honesty
- Maintain an adequate level of physical fitness
- Demonstrate strong teamwork skills
- Ability to lift and transport boxes weighing up to 35 pounds
- Able to multi-task
Qualifications and Characteristics:
- Personally committed to the mission, goals and objectives of Catholic Charities and New Covenant Center.
- Understanding and appreciation for the challenges of the disadvantaged
- Enjoy people and unconditionally accept others as they are
- Helpful, courteous demeanor, people person
Catholic Charities of Fairfield County offers a generous benefits and paid time off package.
Interest candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to: Betsy Lopez, Assistant Director: [email protected]
Catholic Charities of Fairfield County is an Equal Opportunity Employer